Skip to content
Home » Resources » E2 Visa USA Immigration Guide: Step By Step

E2 Visa USA Immigration Guide: Step By Step

Are you someone that’s interested in acquiring an E2 Visa it’s best for you to consult an attorney who can help walk you through the process it’s a lot simpler and sometimes it can be more straightforward when you have somebody holding your hand who has been there and who has done that before if you want to find out if we can help you acquire your E-2 Visa, make sure to send us an email so as guide you on how to acquire an E-2 Visa.

1. You need to determine if this is the right visa for your situation

Now if you’re someone who is ready to invest in a business meaning you have to invest monetary funds then it is possible it could be for you now if you’re somebody that just wants to invest in an exist seeing business rather than starting your own business in the United States then it is also a possibility that the E-2 Visa might be for you so if you already know that you have funds and you have money coming in from somewhere whether it’s a business that you have established in a different country or it’s family members giving you money whatever the reason if you’re already sure that you have the funds and you’re going to invest them in an existing business or you’re going to create your own business then what do you do next?

Should you just go out and apply for the e2visa and the answer is no there still are a couple of more steps which we are going to cover in this blogpost so you’re ready you’re ready to invest those funds.

What is the next step if you want any two visa you need to make sure that you set up a business right it’s not enough to think you want to set up a business or to say you’re going to set up a business or to say that you’re going to invest in an existing business go out and set up your business you’re going to want either an LLC or an S corporation so how in the world do you set those up?

So scroll down into the the description below or send us an email to find out if we can help you create an LLC or an S-Corporation if you are someone that is outside of the United States but want an E2 Visa to come to the United States and live here and work on this business now an LLC or an S corporation which one is the right one for you?

A lawyer will help walk you through those steps and possibly even an accountant will help walk you through those steps to determine which is the best for your situation what kind of business you’re starting or maybe you’re investing in an existing business that’s already making a certain amount of money and all of those factors will help somebody determine whether an LLC or an RFS Corporation is right for you.

The next step after you create an LLC you want to make sure that you obtain an EIN.

  • what is an EIN?
  • why do you need an EIN?

EIN is an Employer Identification Number (EIN) which is going to be specific to you and to your business you are going to need this number that is given to you by the IRS so if you hop onto the IRS website there will be an application there for you to apply for an EIN for your business you’re going to take this EIN number that the IRS gives you and you are going to open a business bank account so at this point you should have obtained an EIN already and you should have opened a business bank account at a U.S Bank of your preference.

After you are done can you apply for an E-2 Visa yet? Unfortunately not you have to put business funds into that business bank account and that makes sense right? Because in order to obtain an E2 Visa you must invest a substantial amount of funds and those funds must be put at risk so are the funds at risk if they’re just sitting in a bank account well no they’re not at risk because they’re just going to sit there so what does that risk really mean?

Well it means that you’re going to go out and you’re going to leverage those dollars and those funds for the benefit of your business right so you want to make sure that you’re making a substantial investment into your business and you want to make sure that you have put those funds at risk but if you want to find out more in detail will putting your funds at risk means make sure to read more of this blogpost right here where I will go into more specific detail about the at-risk definition that you must meet so now that you have invested your funds you are ready to apply for an E-2 Visa but how do you go about that process well there’s two ways of Visa processing

Visa processing means that you are going to visit an embassy or a consulate in your area meaning outside of the United States now the location closest to you is probably your best bet and once you’re at the embassy or the consulate you are going to be interviewed and so at this interview you will probably be asked lots of questions regarding your investment or regarding your business so you should be prepared to answer the following questions:

  • kind of business you’re going to operate?
  • what kind of funds you’ve invested?
  • what purpose?

As I said at the beginning of this post is not enough to just say that you plan to invest or that it is your intent you must have made a substantial investment and put your funds at risk already now

2. If you are already located in the United States lawfully

So if you are already lawfully in the United States and you want to apply for an E-2 Visa you can most definitely apply for a change of status and by paying an extra fee you will be able to expedite your application also there is no interview for a change of status so wouldn’t that be nice to be able to change your status without an interview and you only have to pay a few extra dollars for premium processing of your application you want to keep in mind that if you are applying for a change of status because you’re already legally in the United States.

You will not be able to travel outside of the United States because you do not actually have a stamp inside of your passport so a change of status when you’re already in the United States means that you won’t be receiving any kind of whereas if you do the interview in your home country then you would be receiving a stamp which would allow you to travel also if you’re already lawfully in the United States you want to do the change of status with time you don’t want to wait until the last minute because it’s going to be very frustrating for you.

You also need an attorney who is help you want to make sure that you prepare well in advance I would say give yourself at least 15 weeks in advance to prepare for a change.


So if you’re a business owner that is ready and willing to apply for your E2 Visa then make sure you scroll down into the description below to find out if we can help you with the process if you’re a business owner already in your home country then I’m very excited to work with you because I’ve been working with nothing but business owners for a very long time I’m always excited to work with business owners who want to improve upon an idea or create their own idea and bring it to fruition so if that is you make sure you scroll down and I look forward to receiving your email